Thursday, September 25, 2008

Youth and Young Manhood

One of our product reps at work took us along with several other engineers in the area out to dinner and to the Predators hockey game tonight. It was a fun time, if you’re into hanging out and making small talk with guys who sell water heaters and other guys who are directly competing for your job.

As I left the game and walked to my car, I passed by the front of a church where a homeless man was sitting on the front steps. I did exactly what you’re supposed to do when it comes to the homeless – ignore the problem like it doesn’t exist. So I kept my head down and eyes straight at my feet. But as I walked by, the man yelled at the top of his lungs, “FUCK YOU, BOY!” I honestly wasn’t expecting that but I have to say, it made me smile and in some weird way, it made my day. I'm pretty sure that wasn't the intended result, but whatever. Still, I maintained my composure and kept walking right on by. A man, his wife, and their 12-ish year-old son were following about 10 yards behind me and as they passed the front of the church, the homeless man yelled at the top of his lungs, “FUCK YOU, MOTHERFUCKER!” Truthfully, after my encounter with the man, I was expecting that, but I was not expecting what the non-homeless man did next. He got in the homeless dudes face and yelled, “What did you say!?! You better watch your mouth, man!!!” A scuffle ensued in which the non-homeless man grabbed the homeless man by the his collar an yelled again, “watch your mouth!”

I was completely shocked by this turn of events, but I was thinking, seriously man, let’s look at this objectively: This dude is clearly without a home and empirical evidence would suggest he’s without his mind as well. Let’s at least afford him the liberty of shouting out a few curse words if he wants. There’s no harm in that, especially if he has the balls to do it on God’s doorstep. Besides, between the two of us non-homeless people here, I feel like I have more of a bone to pick with the guy than you do. After all, he called me a boy, and I’m not a boy; I’m nearly 30. It’s not like I got in the guy's face and was like, “What’d you say!?! I ain’t no boy! I’m a man! I’m nearly 30, here’s my ID! I demand you show me some respect you homeless piece of shit! I’m a grown adult and you should not be talking to me like that!”

You know what? Next time I’m at a bar and they ask for my ID, I’m going to be like, “Fuck you! I’m a man! I ain’t no boy! I’m damn near 30!” We’ll see how quickly that gets me a beer. 

No comments: