Monday, August 18, 2008

Plumber's Butt

We finally moved into the house this weekend.

Despite the fact that we ‘re living here now I had a frustrating weekend trying to get the new sink and disposal installed. Don’t tell anyone I work with because I’m getting paid to be a Plumbing Engineer. Thankfully I’m not getting paid to be a plumber because it took me damn near one entire day to get the water and waste piping hooked up under the sink. Normally I brag about how badass I am when it comes to this stuff but in this case the plumbing was kicking my ass like it was Donald Rumsfeld and I was a prisoner at Abu Ghraib. And just like a prisoner, even though it ultimately ended up well for me, I’m still all paranoid it’s not over, like Rumy is hanging out under my sink with a guard dog just waiting to fuck me up again.

As a result of the plumbing debacle, I made 4 separate trips to Home Depot within 24 hours. Who knew there was such a difference between 1-1/4" and 1-1/2" and you can't make up the difference with plumber's putty? Anyone who is upset about the state of the economy these days, don't come crying to me, I'm doing my part one plumbing fitting at a time. Now if Bush would get off his lame-duck ass and pass another economic stimulus package to hook me up with another big fat check, I wouldn't be complaining.

Now that everything is functional and I can breathe a sigh of relief, I have a new appreciation for the contractors that do this stuff on a daily basis. Plus, I also think I have some more credibility with them for having gone through it. Next time a plumber calls me up to bitch me out because my plumbing design sucks and he asks if I know the first thing about plumbing, I'll be all like, "heck yeah I do! This one time I installed all the drain piping under my sink. I mean, I royally fucked it up for like two days but then I got it right and it was awesome. I felt so proud of myself… Now as for you and this problem you're having with the raw sewage coming out of the sink faucet… I don't know what to tell you."

This is a picture of the final masterpiece:

This is a picture of everything that I bought that somehow didn't make the situation any better.

Here is the new fridge with the Ikea cabinet above, the Ikea cabinets below to the right, the Paperstone counter top, and the custom wine cabinet.
This is the giant slab of counter top.




No comments: