Sunday, March 15, 2009

Lost in Translation

People are stupid, and by "stupid" I mean "ignorant", and by "ignorant" I mean "stupid." All you need to do is turn on the news, pick up a magazine or one of those antiquated newspapers, or log on to the world wide web to find evidence of this on a daily basis.

I get evidence of it every day at work and this is just the latest example.

With the economic climate of late, my company is like every other company out there looking for ways to cut back and save money. One thing they've done is reduce the budget for the cleaning staff at the office. That means the trash gets taken out less frequently, or the bathrooms get cleaned fewer times each week, or things don’t get dusted like they used to. I accept all of this because while it unfortunately means the cleaning staff has fewer hours or in the worst case, fewer people, it also might just mean the company is saving enough money so I can keep my job or someone else around me can keep theirs.

Well, not everyone shares the same macro-economic view on the matter as I do. In fact, some people are downright pissed about this reduction in cleanliness around the office. So much so that someone has started leaving notes around the office instructing the cleaners what to do, or perhaps more accurately, what they haven't done. One day it will be, "More paper towels!" and the next it will be, "Refill soap!" or, "Take out the trash!" But the fucked up thing is, whoever is leaving the notes is writing them in Spanish. Like, this jackass is just assuming like a stupid, ignorant sonofabitch that the cleaners don't speak or can't read English. Who is that big of a douche? If I was on the cleaning crew and came in to work at 6 PM to find notes written in Spanish telling me what to do, I'd be like, "Stupid gringos. If you're going to tell me what to do then fuck you; I’m not cleaning out the refrigerator in the break room until you figure out how to write, ‘throw away the moldy cheese’ in Spanish and in the meantime I’m going to leave a little message of my own in the form of un deuce en fuego encendido tu escritorio. Douchebag.”

As someone who works with drawings and pictures and abbreviations all day, it would be like me coming to work and finding pictionary notes from my boss telling me what to do because he doesn’t think I can comprehend words. Something like:








"Stop sleeping at your desk."


Or:










"Shave your beard you Neanderthal."

Or:











 "You spend too much time in the bathroom."

I just realized that last one could be mistranslated to, “I will pay you for 15 minutes alone in the bathroom," to which I would reply with a note that said, "X, FU! ... ???" which means, "No, Fuck you! Wait, how much?"

The overall point is, people are stupid and stupid people deserve to come to work and find a big steaming turd in their desk drawer. 

No comments: